Tomorrow, July 23rd, is World Sjögren’s Day. World Sjögren’s Day was established by the Sjögren’s Syndrome Foundation more than a decade ago to commemorate Dr. Henrik Sjögren (the man who discovered our disease). It’s a day when we can put a face on the millions of people living with this disease and gives those touched by Sjögren’s a vehicle to educate others and have their voices heard.
As Chair of the BOD of the Foundation, I recorded a message that the Foundation has been sharing this week to encourage patients, caregivers, and healthcare workers to get involved. If you have already seen it, feel free to skip to a few links that highlight how you can get involved.
My Personal Video to all Sjögren’s Patients
How You Can Support World Sjögren’s Day
Many patients share their story about Sjögren’s already; but some patients choose to keep silent and not make chronic illness part of their public persona. Perhaps this is a day when quiet patients choose to let a few friends in on the secret. Try sharing information about the disease as a common but somewhat unknown disease worthy of people learning more.
Here are some other ideas for getting involved that the Foundation has created for you:
- Share Your Story & Raise Funds: Create a personalized fundraising page and share why this cause is so important to you. Then ask your family and friends to support your efforts by making a donation to help conquer the complexities of Sjögren’s.
- Help Raise Awareness: Talk about Sjögren’s with the people in your life. Share your personal story or that of a loved one with family, friends, neighbors or co-workers. Educate those around you about the disease. You can use this fact sheet to help.
- Make a Donation: Support the Sjögren’s Syndrome Foundation by making a donation in recognition of World Sjögren’s Day or in honor of yourself or a loved one fighting the disease. The SSF is truly thankful for each and every gift we receive. You can take great pride in knowing that your support will play a vital part in making a difference in the fight against Sjögren’s.
- If you are on social media, be sure to use the hashtag #WorldSjogrensDay! Also, if you are a Facebook user, you can add a donate button to a post or your page and have the funds go to the Sjogren’s Syndrome Foundation.
- If you’ve purchased a Foundation T-shirt a conference, or have been on Team Sjögren’s, go ahead and wear your shirt!
On World Sjögren’s Day, join me and have your voice heard! TOGETHER, we can conquer the complexities of Sjögren’s!